Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Tech Babies


I was just about to leave for work this morning when I caught a glimpse of my computer screen. My 3-year-old was busy playing his favorite game, Need For Speed: Carbon, and I noticed one amazing thing: this 3-year-old could drive!


DSC01958.JPG DSC01959.JPG


He took the turns just as I would, out-in-out, following an imaginary racing line. The thing is, he was winning races already! Excuse the exclamation marks, I'm simply amazed. The last time I saw him drive (before I did a reformat on my hard drive a couple of weeks back) he was running into walls and running the opposite direction most of the time. Now he was unlocking the challenge series one by one, IN SUCCESSION! And not just any challenge at that. Everyone knows that NFS:C does not have any difficulty settings that one can tweak. The challenges this baby was unlocking were the pursuit evasion ones. He knew how to evade cop chases and make use of Pursuit Breakers, then make his getaway after completing the challenge requirements. If you ask me, that's amazing for a 3-year-old toddler.


I guess it's the thing with the next generation. We thought WE were high-tech. We had the gadget revolution, we had the Internet explosion. We thought we were the most tech-savvy generation of geeks. We were wrong, for sprouting all around us are these babies who are born geeks, born not with silver spoons in their mouths, but with optical mice in their hands! I guess every generation one-ups the last, eh?


Know what my kid's first coherent phrase was?


"EA Sports, it's in the game..."



3 comments:

the caterpillar said...

-born with the geek gene-

and oh so cool, i see a konoha ninja headband... akoa na na beh (ang headband, dili ang cute na bata)...

Thabet-Abbas C. Burias said...

hahaha. =) sorry... our Hokage wouldn't allow that.

Unknown said...

leche! ako sa una tarak-tarak ginadula. hehehe. amazing kid!

*taps in the back